The non-profit organization I am choosing is the Oregon Humane Society. Not only have I volunteered there and thought it was a beneficial company to surrounding households, but also to the animals of the community.
There are many different current controversies surrounding companion animals today. One of the most common topics surrounds spaying and neutering animals. I think we are now at a time in our society where there is more focus on our animals, and the well being of our animals compared to other decades. We are not only spaying and neutering our animals, but micro chipping them as well so they do not get lost, and we can track where they are.
In my Companion Animal class that I took my freshman year, we discussed many ethical issues pertaining to companion animals. One of the topics was specific to spaying and neutering animals, but went into detail about how old the animal should be before it is ethically and physically ready to be spayed or neutered. Though this is a specific controversy, should all household animals be spayed and neutered? Should strays be fixed?
I know here in Oregon, there is a Feral Cat Coalition that lets the public bring in feral cats to their facility to be spayed and neutered free of charge. This is to help the wild cat population decrease, since there are so many stray and homeless cats. Corvallis actually holds sessions here twice a year, and has many participants involved.
The article I chose highlighted the fact that these techniques are not only more ethical then the latter "trap and kill" techniques, but also that they are more effective. Results show that there is now a stabilization, and even a decline on free roaming cats in the country. Not only have these conventions lowered stray cat populations, but they are also less expensive and better for the morals of everyone involved.
Now I have a question. Though these conventions seem ethical, is it fair to the stray cats? Should it be our responsibility to reduce the cat population?
Here is the link to my article:
Spaying and Neutering Stray Cats
Here is my article to the Feral Cat Coalition as well if you want to check it out, or sign up to volunteer!
Feral Cats
I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts! Have a great day! :)
I think it is really good how the population of cats has decreased so much. I really like how you pointed out that spaying/neutering is more cost effective and it is humane. In answer to your question, I think its fair becuase the more cats there are, the less food and home there will be for those alive. It seems better to prevent life, rather than increase the odds of life starting and then ending due to starvation, etc. Overall, I really enjoyed reading the blog and it kept my interest.
ReplyDeleteI do like the idea of spaying and neutering stray cat, I believe that both ethically and morally more accepted. I do believe that it is fair, there are tons of animals roaming the streets. I have always believed in any means necessary to preserve life than to end life. Great article :)
ReplyDeleteGood work Lauren.I enjoy your casual approach to this topic- your font helps-it makes the case in point easily accessible. I understood where you were going right away. One area I would work on is when you introduce your article. I would include the name of the article you reviewed the first time you bring it up. Followed by the summary of what the article covered.
ReplyDeleteIn answer to your question: Although it seems cruel to put something to sleep and then have it wake up lesser than it was before, I have to say that it is crueler to let animals populate to the point of starvation and disease.